Saturday, December 15, 2012

Android ADT and APK Traditional Install

It's been a while since I wrote anything for Android.  I surely miss it.  I absolutely love how 'bare bones' it can be in the sense that the install instructions are written with Linux developers in mind without compromising the Windows experience - this is a necessary evil.

My recent experiences have left me wondering if Google is giving up focusing on Android.  Although their directions are slightly cleaner than previously (links to links to links).  There is a few links to navigate before I could get from the SDK to ADT for Eclipse.

Currently the install instructions are for installing to your personal folder.  I don't know who does this in Linux so I aim to correct it here.  Obviously this could be tailored to install to whatever folder you choose, i.e. /usr/local/Google or /usr/lib/google depending on how you view things.  I choose to install mine to /opt/google where Google install Chrome and Music Manager.  The main advantage is that the Android tools will then be available to everyone and it doesn't pollute your home folder, uck!

Here is a helper script I use to give proper flags to files after unzipping so that you can browse folders and execute executable without being super user.

sudo find /opt/google/adt-bundle-linux -type d -exec chmod +rx {} \;

sudo find /opt/google/adt-bundle-linux -type f -exec chmod +r {} \;

for FILE in $(find /opt/google/adt-bundle-linux -type f); do \
    if [ ! -z "$(file $FILE | grep executable)" ]; then \
        echo $FILE; \
        sudo chmod +x $FILE; \
    fi; \
done



No comments:

Post a Comment