Saturday, August 11, 2012

Installing Lotus Notes for Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64

Bare in mind here that this is my first post using blogger.

Not too long ago I was working with my IT on installing Lotus Notes for Ubuntu.  The fact that they even had deb file was amazing.  Sadly, the targeted architecture was only 32 bit.  Doing some Goolging I found a few links with bits and pieces such as this one from IBM but the most help I found was from here.

Following the later link I have put together an installer script using the Lotus Notes deb package file which installs the package and installs the necessary 32 bit libraries.  You can find my script on Google Code.

There are still some occasions when the gtk decorator fails.  When this happens you loose the ability to move and resize all windows.  I know that it has something to do with menus being located on the top Ubuntu bar versus being located on the application window top bar.

The fix is simple for the gtk decorator.  Just run the following command:

compiz-decorator


3 comments:

  1. Hi, just tried your script but when I start notes, after accepting the license agreement it fails with this error:

    libgnomevfs-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    Any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me add that I already have a lib32 folder... according to its content, I belive it has been created by the installer of the propriertary nvidia drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get any other errors during the install? You should have ``libgnomevfs-2.so.0`` installed in ``/usr/lib32``. Find using:

    find /usr/lib32 -name "libgnomevfs*"

    Otherwise you may try:

    sudo getlibs -p libgnomevfs2-0

    The script also creates a symbolic link within the Notes folder. If you can find where your ``libgnomevfs`` library file is located you may need to then create a symbolic link to it:

    sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libgnomevfs-2.so.0.2400.4 \
    /opt/ibm/lotus/notes/libgnomevfs-2.so.0

    Looks like either one of these should reveal to you how the script failed. Post back here and I will try to help.

    ReplyDelete